Making a Difference in Communities Close to Home and around the World
Healthcare is about caring for people. That’s why Oak Point University created a special elective called Service Learning. It allows Oak Point nursing, radiography, and HIIM students to share their knowledge and compassion with people close to home and in communities not so close to home. Our students have been to clinics in some of Chicago’s underserved neighborhoods, they’ve traveled to help others in Alabama and the southern United States, and they’ve gone as far as Honduras to make a difference. Service Learning is the perfect opportunity to learn more about different cultures and a little more about yourself. It’s the perfect complement to a Oak Point University education.
The impact of Service Learning at Oak Point:
- You share experiences, provide recommendations for implementation, and discuss a learning centered approach to service learning initiatives.
- You grow through student accountability, professionalism and empowerment to affect global society.
- You enjoy structured opportunities in an educational format that compliment the nursing curricula such as: journaling, on-line chat rooms, small group activities and clinical experience.
- You use the nursing process, set goals, collect data and implement health promotion activities.
- You have the background essential to starting and augmenting a Service Learning initiative in your own hometown when you graduate!
Through Service Learning, we’re transforming the culture of nursing practice by expanding service opportunities within Oak Point and throughout nursing education at large.